Tuesday 9 September 2014

Nikon Hacks

Part II

Triggering Nikon IR remote with Arduino


 In the previous post [Nikon Hacks Part I] I modified a generic Nikon IR camera trigger. 


[click images to enlarge]


I want to use an Arduino to make this work so I can attach sensors and / or bluetooth communication.
In the next post [SRF05 Nikon] I use an SRF05 ultrasound range finding sensor to trigger the camera.

1. SPDT Relay. I already made a relay board some time ago for another project. I'm going to adapt it to make the electrical connect between the two wires I soldered on the IR board  (see previous post). The signal from an Arduino pin will switch a transistor which in turn will close the contacts on the relay, so triggering the IR pulse, but it will need some modification.




The IR control wires are connected to the relay Normally Open (NO) and Common. When PIN8 goes from LOW to HIGH the transistor switches the relay which closes the NO and Common contacts making the circuit. R2 is a pull down resistor. The IR pulse is sent to the camera sensor and the camera takes a picture. Note camera is in live-view mode and set up for IR trigger (Nikon D5100 in my case).

Video to follow in next post [SRF05 Nikon].

So now I can use the Bluetooth code I presented in earlier posts to trigger the camera from my Android device Bluetooth, Android to Arduino. I can also attach sensors to the Arduino such as PIR or Ultrasound to detect movement and or distance. The limit is my imagination, I guess. 

2. Reed Relay (SPST). you can use a reed relay because we are not switching much current:


3. Or try an opto-Isolator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator

 Alternative circuits


4. A Transistor is probably the most cost-effective option


No comments:

Post a Comment